LAWS Volunteer Program
LAWS has an active group of approximately 75 volunteers who donate their time and services to help us assist victims of domestic and sexual violence. We have a variety of programs that allow for many different ways for volunteers to contribute their time & talent.
How Do I Become a LAWS Volunteer?
All of our volunteers must complete a 32 hour training series that we hold approximately twice per year. This training covers the dynamics of domestic violence and sexual assault, legal aspects of family violence, reflective listening, cultural competence and considerations when working with victims of domestic and sexual violence, our system’s response to domestic and sexual violence, and much more. Some of our volunteer opportunities include additional on-the-job training to be completed after a volunteer has completed the initial training series.
To sign up as a volunteer and to participate in the training series, prospective volunteers first complete our Volunteer Application. Completed applications can be returned to email@example.com, faxed to 703-771-7865, or mailed to:Attn: Volunteer Coordinator LAWS 105 East Market St Leesburg, VA 20176
Once our Volunteer Coordinator receives your application, she will contact you to introduce herself and to give you more information about our training series. All prospective volunteers must also complete an interview prior to completing our training series, and must also successfully complete criminal, child abuse, and sex offender registry background checks.
What Opportunities are Available?
Volunteer opportunities include:
- Child Care
- Maintenance (minor household repairs, yard work, painting, etc)
- Transportation (driving shelter residents to/from appointments)
- Assist counselors is preparing for support groups
- Greeting guests attending support groups and events
- Participate in community outreach events, like community fairs
- Nurturing Program material preparation
- Administrative tasks
- Reception services (greet guests & clients, answer phones)
- Data entry
- Court Accompaniment
- Sort & price donations at The Resourceful Woman Thrift Store
- Welcome & assist customers The Resourceful Woman Thrift Store
We have volunteer opportunities for both day and evening hours, as well as weekends.