Loudoun Nurturing Parenting Program
The Loudoun Nurturing Parenting Program is a series of parenting classes offered by LAWS. The Nurturing Parenting Program classes are available to any parent or family in the Loudoun community. Classes and materials are provided free of charge.
What Classes are Available?
The Nurturing Parenting Program classes offered in age-specific groups in order to address the developmental stage of your children’s lives. Classes are offered for parents of children ages newborn to five years old, parents of children ages 4-12, and parents of adolescents ages 10-13. Some classes are offered in Spanish. Classes are six to eight weeks long.
How do I sign up for a class?
Download and complete our application below, and return to the Loudoun Nurturing Parenting Program, 105 East Market Street, Leesburg, VA 20176. Completed applications can also be faxed to 703-771-7865 (attention Nurturing Program) or emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Once your application is received, our staff will contact you about the next steps.
About the Nurturing Parenting Program®
Parenting is full of both joys and challenges. Parenting is learned. How we were raised directly influences the way we raise our children. Based on these beliefs, the Nurturing Parenting Program® was designed to teach behavior management concepts that increase parents’ understanding of the many ways to promote the positive overall growth of their children.
Through the utilization of group discussions, interactive activities, and videos, parents learn several parenting principles as outlined by nationally recognized parenting education instructor, Dr. Stephen Bavolek:
- Children need a disciplined, caring home that will foster their overall physical, social and emotional development.
- Family morals and values need to show the positive aspects of making healthy choices, showing respect and cooperation.
- Communication, positive recognition, non-violent punishment and empowerment build positive self-worth in children.
- Empathy, the ability to be aware of the needs of children and act on their behalf, is the key to being a nurturing parent.
- Parents who take the time to nurture themselves are more capable of nurturing their children.
Do parents and their children attend together?
The courses are family-centered so parents and children attend classes together. While parents are learning skills and knowledge on how best to meet their children’s needs, their children are participating in social skill classes that mirror the parent curriculum. They learn strategies to recognize and respond in healthy ways to their emotions; understand that they have the personal power to make good choices; and develop refusal skills and confidence in dealing assertively with threats to their personal safety. An evening meal is provided for some classes and families eat together.
Where are classes held?
Classes are held at the LAWS Community Services Center located at 105 East Market Street, Leesburg, VA 20176.
There are many ways you can become involved in the program! Volunteers are needed to:
- assist in the children’s social skills classes
- co-lead parenting sessions
- help prepare classroom materials
- provide childcare to infants and toddlers while their parents are in class
- assist in the coordination and preparation of evening dinners (pick-up, set-up, menu selection, etc.)
For more information on volunteering, click here.